Chèvre or Fromage Blanc
Inoculant: Mesophilic Starter Culture(Flora Danica, Mesophile Aromatic B)
Rennet: Microbial (vegetarian). Add calcium chloride prior to
adding rennet if using homogenized milk.
1. Heat milk to inoculation temperature.
2. Sprinkle inoculants on surface of milk. Allow to dissolve for 1-2 minutes.
3. Stir inoculants into milk for 1-2 minutes.
4. Ripen at above temperature for one hour.
5. Add Rennet, stir gently for 2-4 strokes.
6. Ripen for 18-24 hours at above temperature.
7. Gently scoop curds into Chèvre moulds and let drain at room temperature (not above 80f) for 24 hours or until whey stops draining. While scooping curds into moulds, continue to top off curds in each mould as curds will drain down fast.
8. Take cheeses from moulds gently and form into balls or logs.
9. Sprinkle coarse salt on all sides or into the cheese.
10. Mix herbs or spices into cheese.
11. Wrap in plastic wrap or place in container in refrigerator.
-Steve Shapson, The CheeseMaker