1 part whole milk
1 part 1% or 2% milk
Flora Danica or Mesophile Aroma Type B culture
Kosher or non iodized salt
1. Warm milk slowly to 77f without scorching milk on medium heat.
2. Sprinkle culture on surface of milk, allowing a few minutes for culture to well re
hydrate into milk.
3. Stir for 3-5 minutes to well distribute or disperse culture into the milk.
4. Dilute rennet into small amount of clean water (1/4 cup) and mix well into milk,
stirring gently for a few minutes.
5. Cover and let rest(ripen) for 24 hours at room temperature (70-75f).
6. After 24 hours, gently ladle off the clear whey on top of the surface.
7. Using a knife, cut vertical cuts across the set milk about 2 inch (5cm) wide.
8. Cover and allow to rest to 5 minutes at room temperature.
9. Collect any clear whey liquid off the top by either gently compressing the soft curd
of tipping the warmer(pot).
10. Skim cut curds into a food grade draining bag and allow to drain for four hours at
11. Remove cheese from bag, placing into a bowl and salt to taste (not so much that
the cheese is salty, but to bring out the flavor).
12. Place covered bowl in refrigerator and chill and serve. Keep in refrigerator to up to
-Steve Shapson, The CheeseMaker