About This Product
Hobbyist: 1/16 tsp for 1/2 gallon milk, 1/8 tsp for 1-2 gallon milk, 1/4 tsp for 3-5 gallons of milk.
- Streptococcus thermophilus
- Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Bifidobacterium lactis
Making a Drinkable Yogurt
(Great on it’s own or in a Smoothie!)
Culture: theMilkman™ SMOOTHY STYLE YOGURT CULTURE
Amount to use: 1/16th teaspoon for ½ Gallon, 1/8th tsp for 1 Gallon, ¼ tsp for 2-5 Gallons
Batch size: ½ Gallon of Milk.
(Most any milk other than ULTRA Pasteurized; you can use Raw milk, whole milk, 1% or 2% milk)
1) Slowly heat milk to 85c (185f) and hold for 10-30 minutes prior to step No.2
This step is very important and will insure a thick consistency.
(if using an Instapot just put on Yogurt setting and hit start)
2) Cool milk to 105-107F; to speed up you can put a bag of ice cubes into the hot milk
Do not cool below the target of 105; better to take out any ice around 112F and let it cool on it’s own the last few degrees.
(If using an Instapot you can take the lid off during cooling time to accelerate cooling; put back on for the incubation period)
3) Add culture to milk: Use 1/16th teaspoon for a half gallon batch; or 1/8 teaspoon for a 1 gallon batch.
After sprinkling the culture on the milk surface, allow 5 minutes for the culture to thoroughly dissolve then gently stir the culture thoroughly into the milk for 30 seconds.
4) Incubate: Pour into Yogotherm incubator (or your own incubator) and allow to set for a minimum of six hours and up to 12 hours or until it has set. We find 8 hours is great.
(if using Instapot; you’ll get ‘add and stir’ message; add culture and press start button again after mixing in the culture and it will start counting down 8 hours)
5) For a DRINKABLE Yogurt; after the incubation period stir the yogurt gently in the pot; then pour out into a collection vessel or jar.
6) Enjoy! Store your drinkable yogurt in the refrigerator! Either enjoy on it’s own, mix in fruit or add to a smoothie!
- Our Small/Nut Bag size draining bag will accommodate up to 1/2 -1 gallon batches while our Larger Light Duty bag will accommodate up to 5-7 gallons.
- Order small volume measuring spoons as an option; 5 spoons from 1/32nd teaspoon - 1/4 teaspoon