Mascarpone From Heavy Cream
Mascarpone is very easy to make and ready to eat in one day! Here's a guideline to make homemade mascarpone with a simple recipe.
1. Heat heavy cream to 185f (85c). Any heavy cream will work. Turn off heat.
2. Stir in 1/4 tsp. (1.2ml) of Tartaric acid powder for each quart (.9l) of heavy cream. Stir briskly for a minute or two.
3. Allow to cool a little thicken. This may take a few hours.
4. When the Mascarpone thickens slightly, place in fine mesh draining bag and hang in refrigerator or a cool location until water stops weeping.
5. Once the Mascarpone thickens well, stir in powdered sugar to taste and store in refrigerator until use.
6. You can use this Mascarpone to make Cannoli filling; use one part Mascarpone and one part creamy Ricotta. Stir in a dash salt, dash of Vanilla flavor and a dash of orange liqueur. You can add chopped Pistachio nuts or chopped dark chocolate.
-Steve Shapson, The CheeseMaker