About This Product
WATER KEFIR DEYHYDRATED NATURAL GRAINS; 10g Packet; includes 10 pH strips , and instructions
Water Kefir Grains are actually small colonies made up of Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast: a SCOBY just like in Kombucha! These little guys turn your sugar water into Water Kefir packed with nutritional probiotics and amazing flavor.
Brewing Water Kefir is a two step process; and with de-hydrated grains there are actually 3 steps:
(note- use spring water or mineral water as the water kefir grains 'like' the minerals, vs. using filtered water. Chlorinated water may not be healthy for the
grains- you can try your tap water after rehydrating the grains and making a couple of batches first as chlorine levels vary by location)
- Rehydrate your grains (store at room temp until you rehydrate them)
- Use 3 cups of spring water or mineral water; 1/4 cup Sugar; and 1 tablespoon of Molasses
- Add to a 1 Quart or 1/2 Gallon jar and cover with a breathable cover
- Innoculate the sugar water with the Dehydrated Water Kefir Grains
- Keep at 76-78F for 48 hours, not in direct sunlight
- Strain off the liquid and the grains are now dehydrated and ready for a Primary Fermentation
- make a fresh batch of 3 cups filtered water and 1/4 cup sugar; dissolve in the jar
- add your rehydrated grains
- cover with breathable cover, let stand at about 76-78F and not in direct sunlight
- taste after 24 hours; it will still be sweet but will have started fermenting
- the target to be 'done' is pH driven- you want the water kefir to be at a 3.5 pH
- END of primary fermentation; while you can drink the water kefir now- most do a secondary fermentation to add carbonation (and can add flavor here)
- your primary water kefir will be rich in probiotics but will not have a lot of flavor or character yet
- SAVE YOUR GRAINS separately for the next batch!
- FLAVOR:Bottle your water kefir- use a few tablespoons of fruit juice and/or spices and fill 12-16 oz bottles up the rest of the way with Water Kefir
- CARBONATE; if you want 'fizzy' water kefir; use 'capped' bottles such as swing top bottles that seal. Takes 1-5 days, depending on temperatures
- if you want 'plain' fizzy water kefir; use 1/2 tsp pure cane sugar instead of fruit juice
- Once carbonated to the level you like; store in refrigerator to cool and it's ready to drink!
Storing your rehydrated grains when not wanting to make Water Kefir (between batches for example): do a 'rehydration brew' - after 'innoculate step' just put the jar in the refrigerator.
Repeat every couple of weeks until you are ready to 'brew' again!
Need a fine mesh strainer?
We offer double mesh strainers which are perfect for both Water Kefir and Milk Kefir straining! Kefir goes through and grains stay in the strainer- CLICK HERE
Shipping included within the USA & Puerto Rico(priority mail).