About This Product
Add a nice, smooth texture, give a piquant aroma and increase the flavor of your homemade cheese with Lipase Powder. Lipase should be used along with rennet and mesophilic to make any cheeses whether very sharp, sharp or mild. Lipase enzymes attach to the fat globules available in the liquid to release fatty acids that give cheese the sharp taste, aroma and texture commonly found in some blue cheeses, feta and most Italian cheeses.
Available in Small (1.25 oz) and Bulk (1 lb) sizes
The lipase enzymes are present in raw milk but are often destroyed during pasteurization so must be added back in during the cheese making process. To use to create different cheeses, use the lipase for cheese in the following amounts:
- Very Sharp—Use ¼ tsp (1.2ml) LP500 Lipase Powder for every 3 gallons (11 liters) of milk Spec sheet (Source: Sheep from Lamb)
- Sharp—Use ¼ tsp (1.2ml) LP400 Lipase Powder for every 3 gallons (11 liters) of milk Spec sheet (Source: Sheep / Goat from Lamb/Kid)
- Mild—Use ¼ tsp (1.2ml) LP600 Lipase Powder for every 3 gallons (11 liters) of milk Spec sheet (Source: Bovine from Calf)
- 100% Goat Lipase - Sharp - Use ¼ tsp LP300 Lipase Powder for every 3 gal /(11 liters) of milk (Source: Goat from Kid) Spec sheet
- KOSHER / Organic Mild Lipase- Mild; NO ANIMAL TISSUE IN FINAL PRODUCT/ CERTIFIED KOSHER ; same usage rate (Bovine from Calf) Spec sheet Kosher Cert
Important Notice: Using Lipase in making Citric Acid Mozzarella: If you are making Citric Acid Mozzarella and adding Mild Lipase(for extra flavor), you'll want to activate the Lipase by adding a little to a small amount of clean lukewarm water and allow to rest for approximately 15-30 minutes or longer if you have time. After activation you can add it to the cold milk prior to adding the citric acid solution per recipe.
To add more flavor, avoid adding more lipase. Simply age the cheese longer or change another variable in the process like the type of milk used. For those not able to buy raw milk, lipase creates the cheeses you want using the available pasteurized milk from the store. Lipase should also be used if cow’s milk will be used instead of goat’s milk for certain cheeses like Feta. Carefully handle the milk to prevent spoilage and improper aging of the cheese.
Lipase cheese making creates mild cheeses such as provolone, blue cheeses, mozzarella, feta and Asiago. Create sharp and very sharp cheeses like Romano, Fontina, Manchego and Parmesan. Cheese additives like annatto and calcium chloride are great additions to your home cheese ingredients to differentiate the cheeses you make.
Kosher / Organic Lipase Powder is certified Kosher.
Shipping included within the USA.