About This Product
Make hundreds of your own blue cheese at home with a properly stored packet of Penicillium Roqueforti. The strains have received DVI-Direct Vat Inoculation. Each direct set freeze-dried packet comes in 10 doses or 2.5 doses (repackaged) for easy hobby and home usage without the hefty commercial price tag.
Vegans: Choose the PRB6 strain. The other strains are NOT Vegan.
Each of the three strains of Penicillium Roqueforti culture creates a different texture and taste in the penicillium cheese. Choose between the following:
- PRB6 Strain is a liquid form of Penicillium Roqueforti that has a blue-green color, grows fast and a strong blue flavor. For commercial usage, use 2 doses for every 1000 liters of milk (2200 lbs.). For hobby usage, one drop for every gallon of milk is required. Dose size: PRB6 bottle must be used. This strain is Vegan. Expiration date: These bottles come from France and they put the DAY first, then the MONTH and then the YEAR. After this date, the product does not stop working or 'expire'. If stored properly, it will be viable for a long time after the date listed.
- PS has a medium-fast growth rate, a mild blue taste and a blue-green color. Sometimes used in conjunction with penicillium candidum (especially HP6).
- PA Strain has a piquant aroma, extended shelf life, medium-fast growing rate and slightly tough consistency. Used to make mild Blue cheeses such as Roquefort and is a great choice for hard blue cheeses.
- PV Strain grows quickly and has a creamy consistency, strong tolerance to salt and a piquant aroma. Make Blue cheese including Roquefort, strong Gorgonzola and Danablu.
- PJ Strain has an expected blue flavor, middle-green color and grows fast.
Make approximately 300 Blue cheeses in 4in (11cm) sizes with each 2.5 dose packet. The standard dose rate is 1/32nd-1/16th tsp. (.14g-.07g) for every 1-5 gal (3.75litres-19liters) of milk. The strains are non-GMO, contain lactose and Kosher except PRB6, which is not Kosher.
Follow the steps of regular cheese making to make blue cheese but add in one crucial step to the process: needling. Pierce the cheese to introduce air to feed the penicillium cultures and create the famous blue veins. Blue cheese making culture and a blue cheese making kit may help you get started making your favorite blue cheese. Work with Penicillium Roqueforti vegan culture to perfect your own favorite blue cheese at home for your taste buds.
All strains are non-gmo. PR86 is not Kosher
Spec Sheet PA
Spec Sheet PRB6 (Vegan) Expiration date: These bottles come from France and they put the DAY first, then the MONTH and then the YEAR. After this date, the product does not stop working or 'expire'. If stored properly, it will be viable for a long time after the date listed.
Shipping included within the USA. International shipping available.